News Stories

3 Things NOT To Feed Your Pet This Easter

3 Things NOT To Feed Your Pet This Easter

We all know Easter is a time for chocolate, but chocolate can be extremely harmful to our furry friends along with other components of Easter. Here is our list of 3 Things NOT To Feed Your Pet This Easter, some may even surprise you, and the signs and symptoms to match.


As delicious as chocolate is, we need to be mindful that it contains Theobromine and caffeine. Both of these ingredients are toxic to pets. The highest concentrations of these are in dark and unsweetened bitter chocolate. The best way to keep your pets safe this Easter is to simply keep your chocolate goodies out of reach and preferably in a high cupboard or the fridge. If your pet has eaten any amount of chocolate it is recommended that you contact your vet immediately. It is likely that they will want to get your pet to vomit to ensure they do not digest anymore chocolate.

Signs and symptoms

  • Hyperactivity
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Seizures
  • Elevated heart rates

Save this calculator link just in case you need it.

Here is a quick reference to a pets weight and the amount of chocolate required to make them ill and require veterinary treatment immediately.

5kg Dog 10kg Dog 20kg Dog
Cooking Chocolate 14g 28g 56g
Dark Chocolate 42g 85g 168g
Milk Chocolate 100g 200g 400g
White Chocolate 22kg 44kg 88kg

Basket Fillers

Sometimes we stuff our Easter goodies with bits and pieces to make it look pretty. This means things like the plastic eggs, figurines, Easter toys, and plastic grass/ribbon, can be a problem to your pet. If they end up eating them they can get an obstruction in their stomach or intestines causing major issues. A lot of the time these types of items need to be removed surgically. If you think that your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have always contact your vet ASAP, especially if you seen the following signs

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Weight loss
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness
  • Pain in the abdomen
  • Bloating
  • Dehydration

Hot Cross Buns

An all-time favourite at Easter is the hot cross buns! But these can come at a price for your pet! Did you know that grapes and therefore sultanas and raisins are toxic to dogs? They contain an unknown toxin that causes Kidney failure in dogs. It is rare and a substantial amount of grapes, raisins and sultanas are needed for poisoning but it can happen.

Signs and Symptoms include

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Weakness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Increased drinking
  • Abdominal pain

Don’t forget to book your pets Easter holiday with their favourite sitter! Book now HERE

Published by
Team First Class
Tags: Easter